The Parrot

The Student News Site of Audubon High School

The Parrot

The Parrot

Maddy Carter: NJSIAA Scholar Athlete

Madelin Carter, a senior in Audubon High School has been awarded one of the most prestigious awards; Scholar Athlete. Not only has she excelled in Track and Varsity Soccer, but she has impressively excelled academically. 

Playing soccer since she was four years old, she has always had a competitive spirit. Soccer quickly adapted into her life and she has always loved the team environment. Starting track her sophomore year in hopes to stay in shape for the soccer team, Maddy quickly fell in love with the different environment of the sport. Some of her biggest inspirations have been her teammates. “Riley Fayer, Ava Rizzo, and Makenna Ammon have made the biggest impact on me, especially after our extraordinary season last year. Their positivity and drive made our feat possible, and if it wasn’t for them, I can’t say that I would love track the same way I do now.” Luckily Maddy has stuck with track as she has become one of Audubon’s first Girls Outdoor State Champion for the 4×800, as well as qualifying for the Nike SJTCA Elite Meet. Aside from her accomplishments in Track, Maddy finished her last soccer season winning South Jersey Group 1. “Winning in soccer meant so much because it was so anticipated. Especially after our loss in the finals the previous season”, says Maddy. 

Aside from her athletic accomplishments, Maddy has been named Valedictorian of the 2024 class. Asking her how it feels to be awarded such a special award, Maddy says, “I definitely feel proud of myself, but I’m also proud of the other students on top of our class because they truly are so smart and so deserving.” Not only is Maddy strongly involved in the school as a member of The National Society, Project Memorial, Environmental Club, and president of Spanish Club, but she has also won the Presidential Award for Stockton which gives the highest merit scholarship. She plans on majoring in Health Science with a concentration in Physical Therapy before going to DPT school to get her doctorate in Physical Therapy. Winning Valedictorian alongside Scholar Athlete has made it clear that Maddy is completely capable of balancing her life along with school. Though it isn’t easy, Maddy says, “As far as having interest in pursuing sports alongside school, don’t be scared to take risks because it’s always worth it. You don’t need to give up what you love in order to be successful.” 

It’s Hard for Maddy to pick just one inspiring teacher, but Mr. Marino quickly came to mind. Chemistry is her favorite course and it has helped inspire the direction of Maddy’s career after highschool. “I don’t have many complaints when it comes to my teachers. They’ve all been fantastic and helped me get to my academic standing point,” adds Maddy. Winning the NJSIAA Scholar Athlete is a student who proves that you do not need to choose between passions in order to be successful or happy, and Maddy is a perfect example of that. 

“Winning this award means a lot because I hope to set an example for future students and athletes that you should follow your heart and do what you love because if you truly love it, you will find ways to balance it in your life.”

Maddy is a perfect recipient of this award, as she has shown her dedication to her academics, her passion for sports, and how she has been able to balance both aspects of her life. Audubon High School has gained a lot with having her as a student and athlete, and we wish her the best of luck with her future endeavors.